The musings of one Andrew Langer - defender of liberty, passionate protector of individual rights, foodie. (Note: Said Musings of Andrew Langer are his own, and the views represented herein are likewise his views, and not the views of any other people, entities, foodstuffs, etc [unless otherwise specifically and explicitly noted].)

Friday, August 18, 2006

My Campaign Ad

This will be going into the Queen Anne's County Update next week, for their special election issue:



The reason I make note of not being a "member of any slate or faction" is because the election in QAC is fairly divided - there is a group of 7 (including 5 of the incumbent members of the Central Committee) who are running as a slate - the QA7. Then there are a group of others who are running in direct opposition - an anti-development faction.

I was asked to run. I'm not entirely certain that the people who asked me to run understood just who I am when they asked me. Apparently, given my work on expanding Centreville's Town Council, which to me is a good government initiative, left some people with the impression that I'm somehow much further to the left than I actually am.

In the coming weeks, I'm going to offer up some short blurbs about where I stand, philosophically. Most of the faithful readers of the Liberty Blog already know this - know that I'm pro-property rights, that I want to sharply rein in government, know that I approach public policy from a rational and analytical perspective. But some of the folks who are going to be reading my blog are going to be learning all this for the first time.

The point is, I don't wanting people making any assumptions about me moving into this election. I don't want people assuming that because I'm not part of the QA7 slate that I'm ardently anti-growth. I don't want people assuming that because I haven't been endorsed by the "Citizens Alliance" that I've got conflicts of interest preventing me from serving.

It's that last point I'm going to touch upon as well. It's become abundantly clear from looking at how things play out politically here that folks seem to confuse the idea of having a "special interest" with having "conflicts of interest". This is symptomatic of a greater perception problem nationally as well - it's tied into the same misconceptions that people have of "lobbying" and lobbyists".

As you can imagine, I've got something to say about that as well.

Anyway - I'd put the ad up last night, but thought I'd add to the post as well.

- Andrew Lan ger

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have our support

Iranian Women in Opposition
Iranian Women for Change
http://www.iranian-women.com/

August 19, 2006 11:49 AM

 
Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

Good Luck Langer!

August 26, 2006 5:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fine ad!

I believe the very first call you received was from some brilliant long standing Republican who knew exactly who you were and wanted you to run because of it! ;-) Some people just have impeccable taste, don't you think?

September 17, 2006 11:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home