The musings of one Andrew Langer - defender of liberty, passionate protector of individual rights, foodie. (Note: Said Musings of Andrew Langer are his own, and the views represented herein are likewise his views, and not the views of any other people, entities, foodstuffs, etc [unless otherwise specifically and explicitly noted].)

Monday, August 14, 2006

Where Have I Been?

It's August. One would think that this being DC, things would have slowed down some. Not true. The Susan Dudley nomination has picked things up quite a bit, among other items that have conspired to keep me from writing on the blog (more on that nomination later).

I was in Dallas last week - great hotel, but with (insert appropriately derogatory term here) internet access. Seriously - bad WiFi, but just as bad hard-wired 'net access. I'd planned on updating the blog down there, but it just wasn't happening.

Saw my buddy, Patrick, down there (met his girlfriend). Pat and I did a dinner at Nobu, lunch at this great tex-mex place where I had some fantastic brisket tacos, and then the three of us went out to Ponder, TX for country-fried (also known as chicken-fried) steak. Unbelievably good.

There will be more on this, too - including pictures of our expedition to Dealey Plaza, where I got my picture taken on the grassy knoll.

I got home, and in addition to dealing with election and county fair stuff, found that our three-year-old laptop had managed to flummox itself again - this time really doing it. No, no "blue screen of death". In this instance, a loose power adapter toggle finally broke off. They are unsure if it can be fixed.

So, no laptop over the weekend. At least, no laptop with high-speed internet access. I spent a good portion of the weekend trying to resurrect my 7-year-old no-name laptop. Because it doesn't have Windows 98 "SE", I'm having a devil of a time trying to get various things installed on it.

Options are numerous, and include taking a laptop of my youngest brother whose age (the laptop's, not my brother's) is roughly equivalent of the one that's currently in the shop. Also, buying a new laptop is on the table, though we hadn't wanted to do this for a few months.

Anyhow, I need to start posting on issues again. In the interim, let me offer a restaurant recommendation: Shin Chon, a Korean restaurant in Ellicott City. Had lunch there with the fam yesterday. Excellent.

- Andrew Langer

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Langer said...

To fill in on the details (thanks PTB):

1) The tex-mex place with the brisket tacos is called "Mia's"

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bmHSlbujRmHNz-8jjsbt3w

2) CFS: The place is known, alternately, as "The Ranchman's Cafe" or "The Ponder Steakhouse".

http://www.ranchman.com/

August 14, 2006 2:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home