The musings of one Andrew Langer - defender of liberty, passionate protector of individual rights, foodie. (Note: Said Musings of Andrew Langer are his own, and the views represented herein are likewise his views, and not the views of any other people, entities, foodstuffs, etc [unless otherwise specifically and explicitly noted].)

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sideways - The Big Deal Was What?

Okay - quick post on Sunday night.

Watched "Sideways" last night and this afternoon (Tivo'd it on HBO). I know it was critically acclaimed and all, but I'm not too sure what the big deal was. It was a road trip flick - two guys go off in search of wine and women. I've seen films that make you feel more uncomfortable, films that make you hate the main characters more, films that were more quirky, had better jazz music, etc. And it's not that I hated it - I didn't. I just didn't think it was "all that and a bag of chips".

I enjoyed Payne's "Election" far more. I dunno, I kept thinking, "It's two chimps on a davenport in a basement.

Maybe I just got caught up in the hype and was expecting something more. I thought that might happen with 'Napoleon Dynamite', but it didn't. Fun film.

I did happen to Tivo Mike Figgis' "The Browning Version" the other night. Now, that film affirms that Albert Finney is a tremendous talent. I can't recommend it enough.

- Andrew Langer

2 Comments:

Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

Just proves my theory again that any film that is praised by the critics, I don't waste my time with and the films they put down...I love..."Team America" anyone?

October 17, 2005 3:56 PM

 
Blogger Andrew Langer said...

Well, I dunno, CT. Sometimes it works that way and sometimes it doesn't. I like a lot of indie cinema - like some foreign films (loved "Crouching Tiger" for instance).

But sometimes their taste eludes me.

Hope your leg's doing alright.

October 17, 2005 8:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home