The musings of one Andrew Langer - defender of liberty, passionate protector of individual rights, foodie. (Note: Said Musings of Andrew Langer are his own, and the views represented herein are likewise his views, and not the views of any other people, entities, foodstuffs, etc [unless otherwise specifically and explicitly noted].)

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Yankees! Haya Doin'?!!


Alright, I'm going to dispute the Washington Post's account of last nights Yanks versus Nats game. The crowd wasn't chanting "Ber-nie, Ber-nie". They were chanting "Ber-nie-Will-yums" in a 1-2 cadence. Much like the omnipresent "Let's go Yan-kees!" chants up at The Stadium (for all intents and purposes, there is only one Stadium. Even when they tear The Stadium down, there will still only be one).

Actually, I was rather surprised at how vocal and loud the Nats fans were - I've gotten so used to seeing the Yanks at Camden Yards that I've come to expect a majority of the crowd at a game down here to be Yankees fans. Then again, I'm forgetting the fact that O's fans tend to stay home when the Yanks are in town.

Hadn't expected to go to last night's game - the original plan was to go tonight. But a wrench got thrown in the works (a series of them, in fact), and I decided to go with my youngest brother to Friday night's game - after all, it was the first time the Yanks had set foot in DC (apart from meeting the President following their championship runs) since 1971.

I actually went home to grab my Munson throwback and Yankees cap (Thurman Munson, the legendary Yankees catcher, remains one of my childhood heroes - his death in 1979 remains a singular event from my youth. Yes, I can tell you exactly where I was when I learned about the plane crash.)

Thurman Munson

"The Captain"

It was a fun game - the Nats did surprisingly well, answering the Yankees early on and having a two run lead going into the 8th. But the Yanks rallied, with the Nats walking in the game-tying run, and then took over with a blast from Bernie Williams.


Posada Congratulates Williams

(Photo Courtesy of Newsday)

As I just e-mailed someone, when Posada stepped in and Rivera got on the mound, all felt right with the world.

I'm almost sorry that I've given away my tix to Sunday's game...

- Andrew Langer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home