The musings of one Andrew Langer - defender of liberty, passionate protector of individual rights, foodie. (Note: Said Musings of Andrew Langer are his own, and the views represented herein are likewise his views, and not the views of any other people, entities, foodstuffs, etc [unless otherwise specifically and explicitly noted].)

Friday, November 25, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving (Belatedly....)!!

I know, I know, I've been a bit absent. In my defense, things have been supremely busy on the NFIB front - a lot of writing. I've been working on a piece about Senator McCain, but have been going back-and-forth about the overall subject matter. Essentially, the good Senator's been busy, and in the last few weeks has done a few acts worthy of notice on the Liberty Blog.

But that's all for another time. In the meantime, I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. The Langer clan all gathered at our house this year, as well as a few added guests.

The turkey was excellent. I followed the Cooks' Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen recipe for "turkey for a crowd", though I did brine the bird myself. I was astounded as this 23-pound giant finished right on time. The combination of the brine, the initial blast of high heat, and then the flip from back to front-side-up produced marvelous results.

I dismembered the bird using some poultry shears, and then carved up the meat with an electric knife (thanks to Alton Brown and "Good Eats" for inspiring me to invest in an electric knife. Shades of Thanksgiving Dinners at my Uncle Arnie's in the Bronx washed over me as I ran through slice after slice).

In the future, I've gotta keep track of just how many people are coming to dinner. I wound up making enough stuffing to feed the 6th Fleet, I think. Actually, it's more accurate to call it dressing, as I don't "stuff" the bird.

My thoughts have centered around our those Americans who spent their holidays engaged in the voluntary defense of this nation, and those who are sacrificing to engender this nation's goodwill around the globe. That and, as has been on my mind a lot lately, tolerance. The idea that folks need to be respectful enough to listen to ideas of all kinds, not just those that fall within their comfort zone.

Anyhow, the blog returns to normal publishing this weekend.

And so the holiday season begins!!!!

- Andrew LAnger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home