The musings of one Andrew Langer - defender of liberty, passionate protector of individual rights, foodie. (Note: Said Musings of Andrew Langer are his own, and the views represented herein are likewise his views, and not the views of any other people, entities, foodstuffs, etc [unless otherwise specifically and explicitly noted].)

Thursday, July 07, 2005

With Our United Strength, Victory is Our Aim...

My heart goes out to the friends and families of the fallen in London this morning, and the Liberty Blog's prayers go out to the British people. Take heart - those who committed this heinous act will be brought to justice. I offer the words of one of England's greatest leaders, Winston Churchill:

"[I]t must be remembered that we are in the preliminary stage of one of the greatest battles in history, that we are in action at many other points in Norway and in Holland, that we have to be prepared in the Mediterranean, that the air battle is continuous and that many preparations, such as have been indicated by my hon. Friend below the Gangway, have to be made here at home. In this crisis I hope I may be pardoned if I do not address the House at any length today. I hope that any of my friends and colleagues, or former colleagues, who are affected by the political reconstruction, will make allowance, all allowance, for any lack of ceremony with which it has been necessary to act. I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this government: "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."

"We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim?

"I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Let that be realised; no survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal. But I take up my task with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men. At this time I feel entitled to claim the aid of all, and I say, "come then, let us go forward together with our united strength." - Churchill, first speech as Prime Minister, May 13, 1940, The House of Commons

We stand with you, Great Britain, as you have faithfully stood with us. Victory is our common goal - victory in spite of all terror. With our united strength, we will defeat this evil.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And in the words of the Iron Lady:

All attempts to destroy democracy by terrorism will fail. It must be business as usual -- Margaret Thatcher.

July 07, 2005 11:42 AM

 
Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

And in the words of Reagan:

Deal with them through a position of strength, not relying on the hope that the enemy will just one day undergo a change of heart. Peace through Strength!!!

July 09, 2005 2:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Color is not a human or personal reality; it is a political reality." James Baldwin

Brenna used this quote for her Ethnic Diversity Class.

February 01, 2006 1:18 AM

 
Blogger Andrew Langer said...

Why, thank you, Pam!

February 02, 2006 11:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home